Tuesday 2 June 2015

It’s tough being an introverted car-lover

Sometimes I dream about owning a really cool supercar – something like a flashy McLaren P1, or an insane Pagani Zonda, or even a classy Aston Martin Vanquish. But, ultimately those dreams turn into a nightmare as I realize I would never be able to drive it.

See, I’m an introvert. There’s a reason why I chose to be a writer and not an actor or some other occupation in the public eye. And when driving a supercar, one thing is inevitable – people will see you.

I have cold sweats thinking about having to talk to people every time I park my car in a public place. Even though it would be the same questions every time: “How fast does it go?” “How much horsepower does it have?” “ Can I sleep with you?” I know I couldn’t handle talking to that many strangers everyday.

And then there are the looks I would get. The cold, judging stares from people thinking I believe I’m better than them because of my car, or that I’m compensating for “something.” I think feeling those glares from all around me would be worse than the tiresome chitchat.

Finally, there would be the people that would constantly be asking for my picture…on my driver’s license. When you are under the spotlight, anytime you go a kilometre or two over the speed limit or roll through a stop sign, they will be there wanting to talk to you, see your picture and judge you. All three rolled into one.


So, while I still dream about owning a supercar, I keep those thoughts brief. It’s a nice reminder to be happy with my family car that doesn’t stand out from the crowd.

No comments:

Post a Comment